April 2, 2017

The Travel Bug

A picture - it all started with a picture. 

Back when I was a kid, I remember working on a school project during the summer vacation - where we were asked to build a scrapbook of the place we would like to go. 

I trotted of to my most favourite place in the world - the library. In the course of my quest for material, I stumbled upon this black hard bound book on travel, and I chanced upon the page that had the Le Louvre Museum, which in my mind was one of the best looking museum my 10 year old self had ever laid eyes on. (Those were the days when a computer wasn’t nearby or easily accessible / rampant as it is today)

I remember being fascinated with the image of the breathtakingly beautiful pyramidal structure that stood imposingly against a picturesque backdrop of the myriad blue skies and  deep still waters. I was entranced by the pictures of Louvre at night when it was all lit up like a glistening diamond. I chose Paris for my summer project and started hunting material from various libraries in the city, taking colour photocopies to cut out and paste into my scrapbook. I made extra copies of the pictures of Louvre, and would look at them every night after I came back from school. It was my addiction.

That was the moment I knew, I was going to see the world.  

Fast forward 12 years, when I went on my first solo trip and thereafter for a decade, managed to indulge in my love for travel to a new destination, at-least once a year by saving money and going away from the day to day grind without fail.

Every city/country I have travelled to, has shared her story with me. And those are the stories I have to write - it is time!!

No comments: